Monday, March 24, 2008

I'm back

I can't believe it's been this long since I last posted! Well, I hope none of you are giving up on your muscle building efforts. I'll try to post more often to this blog. In the meantime, think about this: simply adding protein and overall calories to your diet, even if it’s a lot of protein and calories, will not build muscle if you don’t combine this with weight training.

The other day a friend of mine told me a story about protein shakes which I thought was pretty funny. Well, I thought it was pretty funny, but I don’t think he was very amused by the whole situation. You see a few months ago he had decided to start his own weight gain program because he wanted to look more muscular. True, there’s nothing wrong with trying to put on a little muscle or even quite a bit of muscle, but you have to go about it the right way.

That’s where the story gets a little humorous and a bit sad at the same time. My friend thought he could simply add lots of calories and protein to his diet and then sit back and watch the muscle magically appear on his body. His frame would become more muscular by the day, and all he needed to accomplish this was a hearty protein shake every morning. Yeah right!

You have to follow a comprehensive program that includes progressive overload and an adequate muscle gaining diet. In other words, if you don't do weight training and just eat more, don't expect to build lean muscle mass

No comments: